Re: [Fwd: Question with WebMail + Mail Server]

On Saturday 24 April 2004 1:50 pm, edwardspl@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> There is Firewall + WebMail + Mail Server in a computer machine ( Linux
> Server ) :
>
> Firewall is using iptables, protocol of WebMail ( IMP 3.2.3 ,
> http://horde.org/imp ) is using imap/notls and port is using 143, and
> the Mail Server is using imap ( come with Fedora Core 1 Linux ).
>
> iptables ruls :
>
> iptables -P INPUT DROP
> iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 143 -j ACCEPT
> iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
>
> But I have the following the problem :
> http://marc.free.net.ph/message/20040318.053223.3f53fbd8.html
>
> So, who can help me to fix this kind of problem ?

1. Does the problem go away if you (temporarily) change the default INPUT
policy to ACCEPT instead of DROP?

2. What OUTPUT rules do you have (specifically, are you allowing in the reply
packets)?

3. I suggest using a packet sniifer (eg: ethereal), or add some LOGging
statements to your INPUT & OUTPUT chains to see what packets are actually
present.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"Black holes are where God divided by zero."

 - Steven Wright

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.