Re: bytes counting

On Friday 23 April 2004 2:42 pm, Arrizabalaga, Saioa wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been reading some mails in this listing and it is said the best
> place to count bytes/packets is the mangle table, but I have a problem.
>
> iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -o eth2 -s 192.168.0.50
>
> With this rule I catch all the packets going from 192.168.0.50 to eth2,
> but I don't know where to put the rule to catch the packets going from eth2
> to 192.168.0.50, because as far as I can see it, when I put the rule:
> iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -i eth2 -d 192.168.0.50 nothing is
> caught because the packet has not been SNAT-ed yet. Am I wrong?

You are not wrong, no, so put the rule in the FORWARD mangle table - then you
will see all the packets with their real addresses.

PS: If you don't have a FORWARD mangle table, then upgrade your version of
netfilter :)

Regards,

Antony.

--
Christmas was just an opportunity to upgrade to kernel 2.6 while no-one was
around to notice the downtime.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.