Re: Synfloods - SNAT slow down

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rob Sterenborg" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 8:07 PM
Subject: Re: Synfloods - SNAT slow down

> > I have two thousand hosts and two thousand forward rules :(
>
> With so many hosts/rules you should be able to match subnets instead of
> each host separately, reducing the number of rules greatly which in turn
> improves Netfilter performance. Or do you have a special reason to do
> this ?
>

> Gr,
> Rob

I had seen a patch in patch-o-matic which is supposed to fix a performance
issue in SNAT during floods. In fact the current kernel runs with the above
said patch.

You are right. In fact, I am rewriting the script which will generate
netfilter rules. I wanted to find out whether I can fine tune the new
netfilter rule set to offset the overloading of the gateway due to syn/icmp
floods.

Do you think, if I have a hierarchical filter rule set, there would be an
improvement?

KRV