Re: I have no idea why this doesn't work...(further details)

At 09:57 PM 4/22/04 +0100, Antony Stone wrote:
On Thursday 22 April 2004 9:10 pm, Garison Piatt wrote:
> this was cobbled together from scripts that were said to work in
> other places, and my assumption was that these were common port numbers.
I'm reminded of the phrase "a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous
thing".  :)

I'm reminded of that on an hourly basis. :)

> As far as I know: one server, everything on the same machine,

1. I assume the server is not the same machine running netfilter?   (ie: you
are trying to set up a routing firewall, not create rules on a machine to
protect itself?)

No, just the opposite: one machine, trying to protect itself. Multiple web sites on the machine. Sorry I wasn't clear.

2. "One web site client"?   I don't understand.   Surely the server is
accessible to the entire Internet (although maybe not...)?

Perhaps I should have said, "one client web site".

The server was set up because the ISP won't drop certain email restrictions, even though my client brings them *a lot* of business. (Most of her customers want to send voluminous newsletters, but the ISP has a limit of 99 emails per hour.) The eventual intent is to host all of her customers (12-15) on one web server. Currently (by the end of this month), we have one customer to move over to this new server. Within the next two months, that should go up to 8. That's the target arrangement: up to 15 (and maybe more) web sites hosted on one server, with a single firewall protecting all of them.

> Support calls are $150 a pop, so she wants me to make
> as few of those (read: zero) as possible.
Support from whom (where)?   All we're asking is basic network configuration
stuff - not technical assistance in getting something working.

From the ISP; they've given out a limited amount of information -- basically, just the IP number. They expect that all user maintenance will be done from the command console they provide -- which, they say, does a great job of creating and maintaining web sites -- but it doesn't do diddly about security. We're supposed to handle that on our own, by hand.

> We want to allow TELNET (just from me and her, if possible), all FTP, and
> web traffic.
Okay, where are you (in network terms, compared to the firewall and server
we're talking about), where is she, and where does the web traffic come from?

Not sure what you're asking here. Everything is outside of the server -- me, her, all web visitors, hackers, etc. I'm assuming the server is on a table in Florida somewhere, connected only to the internet. I'm on a cable customer (non-dedicated) line, which I believe means that my IP changes every time I log in. Don't know about my client.

Telnet is not a recommended protocol - everything is sent in clear text - is
there any good reason why you are not using ssh?

Didn't know about it. I just downloaded PuTTY.

Note that the above rules will *not* give you remote access to the firewall
itself.   You almost certainly do want this

With all the things I don't know, this one I definitely do: we *do* want remote access to the firewall.

Mahalo,
-garison