Re: I have no idea why this doesn't work...(further details)

At 09:24 PM 4/22/04 +0200, you wrote:
Also, if you want help from this list, you'll have to be a bit clearer about
what you are trying to do

Ah! Good point.

(for example, you have some pretty strange destination port
numbers in there, and I can't begin to guess why).

Because this was cobbled together from scripts that were said to work in other places, and my assumption was that these were common port numbers.

I recommend the following:
1. Describe your network setup to us so that we know what clients & servers
you have on what network segments.

As far as I know: one server, everything on the same machine, no LAN. Right now, there is only the IP for the server itself, and another for one web site client; in the future she'll have 8-10 sites (with independent IPs) on the server.

I say "as far as I know" because all of my information come via my client, who is not exactly computer literate, even though she is in the business of designing web sites. Support calls are $150 a pop, so she wants me to make as few of those (read: zero) as possible.

2. Explain what traffic you want to allow and what traffic you want to block
(and what you want to log).

We want to allow TELNET (just from me and her, if possible), all FTP, and web traffic. We can't have (and don't want) chats, and we'd like to keep hackers out.

3. If you feel able to do so, show us a very simple script which does most of
what you need

I don't, sorry. I'm just a programmer, and I've left system administration to the experts until now.

If you don't feel able to do this, don't worry, just ask for guidance on how to do
what you described in (2), given the sitiuation in (1).

Okay: I'd like some guidance on how to do what I described in (2), given the situation in (1). Bear in mind that, though I'm confident I can program rings around most of my colleagues in any of a dozen languages, when it comes to sysadmin stuff, I'm basically an idiot.

Feel free to contact me privately, if need be: todo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mahalo, -garison