Re: Leaking ICMP and UDP packets

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 7:06 pm, Daniel David Benson wrote:

> Ok, so if I understand correctly, the 10.101.10.103 host is trying to
> respond to this windows box -- it only knows the default gateway to get to
> that 169 address.

Yes, and the default gateway (your firewall) only knows its external interface
to send out packets which don't belong to the internal LAN/s.

>  It doesn't NAT because it doesn't have a corresponding
> "initiated" NAT entry?  I guess I'm confused as to why it doesn't match
> the global NAT entry -- I suspect it's my lack of understanding of how NAT
> is implemented.

Hm, actually, yes, you have a point there - you do have a generic SNAT rule
which should apply to any packets leaving the external interface.   I don't
have an answer for that one right now.

>  In the end, I should be blocking these 169 requests in
> the FORWARD table anyway.

Yes, that would be a good plan.

> Is it common practice to set the NAT chains default policies to DROP?

NO!!!!   *Never* set a nat table (or a mangle table) to have any default
policy other than ACCEPT.

Think really *really* hard before using a rule with a DROP target in the nat
or mangle tables (it can be valid sometimes, but make sure know what it will
do before you use it).

>  I guess, I'd like to know the best way to stop these bad boys from getting
> out to be a good netizen.

Well, I wouldn't worry about it too much - an upstream ISP will drop them soon
enough with that destination address.

If you do want to drop them yourself, however, start with the addresses listed
in http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc3330.txt and block anything entering or
leaving your network with a source or destination address in these ranges.

Regards,

Antony.

--
"The future is already here.   It's just not evenly distributed yet."

 - William Gibson

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.