Re: [OT]Re: intrusion detection

Hello,

	I appreciate the information, as I myself am also looking into a IDS solution
of some sort. I was thinking along the lines of the following:

1. The NIDS would sit between the firewall internal line and our office
backbone using a tap that would fail open.

I figure this was if anything breaks the firewall or a attack comes from inside
and tries to make a outbound connection I would know.

I completely agree with you about the attack from inside vs a attacker from out
side.

I also come completely agree with the HIDS. I have also thought about a internal
machine (not sure of the technical name for it) to act as a live bit box. I
believe the theory is that you leave a internal box a little open or un-patched
with bogus data on it, this is used to attract the attacker and trigger other
bells and whistles.

Michael.

--
Michael Gale