Re: Iptables and Kernel

I'm trying to compile p-o-m-ng with 2.6.5 now. It asks for iptables
sources. I thought p-o-m-ng patches applies to the kernel only. Do I
need to recompile iptables too? There are many patches in p-o-m-ng. I
only need the h323 patch for Netmeeting to work correctly? The README
from p-o-m-ng recommends the following command to patch the kernel,

# KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux ./runme -pending

Do I need to worry about rejects and offsets?

Yes you need to apply some of the patches in pom-ng against the iptables sources. Not only do we change the kernel code, but we have to make some changes to the iptables tools as well to get some of to work

Thank you so much for your quick response. I've iptables RPM already installed with Mandrake. I guess I will need to remove that first before compiling the new iptables. I plan to use Shorewall to configure my firewall. Will removing iptables RPM break anything? I see iptables is included as startup option during boot under Mandrake. After recompiling iptables, do I need to reconfigure all those options?

For the record, with both 2.6.3. and 2.6.5 from gentoo with the gaming options, iptables 1.2.9 and pom-ng play nice for most things.

If something doesn't apply against plain jane kernel code, there is likely a need to holler at the maintainer of the patch.

Regards, Norman