iptables newbie questions

hi
i have three questions about iptables:

1/

i read the packet-filtering howto (http://netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//packet-filtering-HOWTO.html)
the first example uses the ip_conntrack module, which allows the state match rule, as in the following rules :

iptables -A block -m state --state NEW -j REJECT

on the other hand, my red hat 9 was automatically configured by lokkit with something that looks similar but without using ip_conntrack:

iptables -A RH-Lokkit-0-50-INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --syn -j REJECT

what are the exact differences between these two ways of doing the same thing ? (Is it related to the way fragments are handled ?)

2/

about fragments (see http://netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//packet-filtering-HOWTO-7.html)

in the paragraph "specifying fragments", it says:
"If you are doing connection tracking or NAT, then all fragments will get merged back together before they reach the packet filtering code, so you need never worry about fragments."

but 5 lines below, it also says that we can only filter the first fragment, because further fragments don't have their tcp header.

so, are fragments merged or not ? Does it mean that by default, fragments are not merged but that as soon as we use nat or ip_conntrack they are merged ? This is what i understand but i just want a confirmation..

3/

i'm new to linux so this one may seem trivial, but let's ask it:
how are netfilter routing and other kernel routing related ?
i mean:
there is a /sbin/route command that lists a routing table, and we can also modify this table.
but there is also some routing in iptables, as far as i understand.
also, browsing through some howtos i saw mentions of a iproute2 command
All of this is very confusing to me, so what is the architecture of all this ? i already read "The journey of a packet through the linux 2.4 network stack" by harald welte but it did not help clarifying the overall scheme

thanks in advance