Re: port forwarding not working

On Thursday 15 April 2004 2:57 pm, Nick Vazirianis wrote:

> I am having some trouble getting port forwarding within the attached
> script.
>
> I even tried adding the line
> $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i $EXT_IF -p tcp --dport 6881:6885 -j ACCEPT
> but i believe this only allows incoming into the firwall and not
> redirecting to another host

Correct.   INPUT rules are for packets terminating on the machine.   FORWARD
rules are for packets going somewhere else.

The problem is that your FORWARD rules allowing traffic to the
newly-translated address for the BitTorrent service are specifying a source
*address* of 6881, 6882, 6883 etc.   No way will that work.

I'm not sure whether you meant to specify a source port (--sport) instead of
an address, or whether it should be left out completely, and just use the
destination port in the rule?

Regards,

Antony.

--
What is this talk of "software release"?
Our software evolves and matures until it is capable of escape, leaving a

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.