Re: Blocking source ports after REDIRECT

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 5:42 pm, Trevor Turton wrote:

> I am running an untrusted web/app server and mail server on a Linux
> server, and choose to run then as non-root.  The apps must therefore use
> ports other than the well-known privileged ones.

You can't start them as root, bind to a privileged port, then drop privilege
to run the remainder of the app as a standard user?

> I have set up iptables
> to redirect client requests addressed to the well-known ports to the
> ports that these apps open, e.g.
> 110 -> 8110
> This works fine.

Fair enough - an alternative way to do it.

> Out of obsessive neatness rather than for any good
> technical reason I would like to block direct access to the apps through
> their non-privileged (8xxx) ports.  When I insert a filter command to do
> this, it blocks the redirected traffic as well.

> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 25  -j
> REDIRECT --to-ports 8025
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 80  -j
> REDIRECT --to-ports 8080
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 110 -j
> REDIRECT --to-ports 8110
> /sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 443 -j
> REDIRECT --to-ports 8443
> #
> # accept traffic addressed to the serviced tcp ports
> #
> /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22  -j ACCEPT
> /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25  -j ACCEPT
> /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80  -j ACCEPT
> /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 110 -j ACCEPT
> /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT

There is absolutely no reason to have the above rules, since your apps are not
listening on those ports!   Port 25 just got redirected to 8025, 80 -> 8080,
110 -> 8110, and 443 -> 8443.   Remember that PREROUTING happens before
INPUT, so the INPUT chain only sees the destination addresses/ports after
they've been changed.

> #
> # filter out traffic to remaining privileged tcp ports
> #
> /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 0:1023 -j DROP
> ## the following command blocks -eth0 --dport 25,80,110,443 as well!!
> ## /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 8000:8443 -j DROP

Yes, sure, because you're now blocking the packets which just got translated
from the low port numbers :)

What you need to do is either:

1. DROP the packets sent to the high port numbers in PREROUTING (not a
recommendation I would normally make, but there are always exceptions!)

or

2. DNAT the high port numbers to something you don't care about, and then DROP
those in INPUT.

eg:

1. iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 8025  -j DROP
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 8080  -j DROP
etc.

or

2. iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 8025 -j REDIRECT --to
65535
iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 8080 -j REDIRECT --to
65535
etc.
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -i eth0 --dport 65535 -j DROP

Regards,

Antony.

--
"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home."

 - Ken Olsen, President of Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC, later consumed
by Compaq, later consumed by HP)

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.