physdev module

Is there something special to loading the ipt_physdev module prior to loading
iptables rules dealing with the module? I can't for the life of me figure out
why in my rc.firewall script the module will load on command but produce
invalid argument when the iptables rules are executed for the -m physdev.
Yet, if I execute the script again, the -m physdev rules become active.