Re: Making a Bridging firewall

Tom Eastep wrote:

Dave Barnum wrote:

Hello.. I've been wanting to rewrite my firewall for a little bit but i'm not that familiar with iptables.. Up until now i've had a shorewall based firewall that also did bridging between my gateway and a VPN gateway over the internet (to link our houses.) I used the bridge-nf patch on the 2.4 kernel to be able to manage the bridge traffic and block certain broadcast packets (like DHCP) I've now upgraded to the 2.6 kernel because i heard it may fix some other issues i was having but now my bridge (DHCP blocking) rules no longer work... I'd like to get rid of shorewall and write my own IPTables in the hopes that i could get my ability to control the bridge back. Can anyone make any suggestions, or point to a guide that does this with the 2.6 kernel?

Shorewall 2.0.1 contains bridge/firewall support -- it works well with 2.6 kernels.

-Tom

Hmm, Perhaps i will give it a shot. I was running into a problem with my current installation (1.4.8) where the "All All REJECT" policy would reject anything coming from the bridge (br0) I could not figure out what rule/policy to add in to get it to work.. but when i did "ALL ALL ACCEPT" it would work fine.