Re: vpn under linux

On Saturday 10 April 2004 10:31 am, Gianni Pucciani wrote:

> Antony Stone wrote:
> >
> >PPP is Point-to-Point Protocol, and has almost nothing to do with VPNs :)
> >
> >SSH is Secure Shell, and at least it contains some encryption, but again,
> > is almost nothing to do with VPNs (but more on that later).
>
> I thought that they could be used in conjuction to achieve vpn
> functionalities...

Er, well, actually, yes they can, however it is *really* ugly, it breaks some
of the ways in which TCP works, and I wouldn't normally even let someone know
it was possible until they'd exhausted all other sane ways to set up a VPN
and failed for some reason.

The most common reason I know of for people wanting to create a VPN using SSH
and PPP is when they're behind a firewall which doesn't allow them to create
VPNs (using PPTP or IPsec) but does allow SSH - ie: as a way to bypass an
organisation's security policy of not allowing personal VPN setups :)

As I said in my earlier reply, you can tunnel other protocols through an SSH
link, and it turns out that this includes PPP.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Wanted: telepath.   You know where to apply.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.