Re: opening connection for Tomcat

On Friday 09 April 2004 7:56 am, giorgio.zarrelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Well, I'm not a firewall guru, but I think that 0.0.0.0 address is often
> > used to indicate "every address", isn't it?
>
> Yes, it is.

"0.0.0.0" is very different from "0.0.0.0/0".

The first means "one specific IP address, which you will never find on a real
device".

The second means "any IP address at all".

The reason is simply because if you do not specify a netmask, /32 is assumed,
which means all bits must match exactly.   On the other hand /0 means that no
bits have to match at all (which is why 0.0.0.0/0 corresponds to all
addresses).

Regards,

Antony.

--
If you can't find an Open Source solution for it, then it isn't a real
problem.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.