Circuit Level Gateway & Filtering!?

Dear All

   I have read some about ISA server from it's documentation. There were
listed some facilities for example Circuit Level and App Level
filtering and gateway.

   Circuit level filtering and gateway were strange for me. What are
they?
   How can I see such capabilities in iptables? How they get mapped in
iptables?

   Is iptables sth other than what ip_conntrack_ftp.o mudule do in
Application Layer?

Regards
__Radien__