Re: how to block p2p

On Thursday 11 March 2004 11:27 am, Babar Kazmi wrote:

> Dear
>
> You can use squid or netfilter to block the same.
> I think squid is more manageable and don't effect other stuff.

But is port 80 (http) filtering sufficient to block p2p?

I thought (I have little experience of trying to do this) that p2p networks
were sufficiently clever (read: adaptive) that if you blocked them
communicating by one means, then they would find an alternative (port 22, 25,
110, 443, 3128, 8080....etc)?

Regards,

Antony.

> > > I do not know of a way to block p2p without blocking other protocols.
> > >

> > > However, does not mean there isn't one, just that I don't know about
> > > it.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Antony.
> > >
> > > --
> > > There's no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes.
> > >
> > >  - Billy Connolly
> > >
> > >                                                      Please reply to
> > > the
>
> list;