From: netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Antony Stone
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 11:41 AM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ping to internet hosta through NameServer of provider

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 10:22 am, Stanislav Puffler DiS. wrote:

> Apologize, these are my rulesets. As for pinging internet hosts, it is
> working corectly now (after accepting packets from ISP NameServer).

Good.

> But the only one problem is, that there are still logs in shell prompt and
> am not typing anything...

I am not sure I understand why this is a problem.   Do you mean you want the

logs to go to syslog instead of the console, or do you mean that you don't
udnerstand why packets are arriving at your firewall and being logged when
you are not creating them?

If it's the first, then you should investigate the --log-level option to the

LOG target, and check your syslog.conf setup.

If it's the second, then the simple answer is that packets are sent to
arbitrary addresses around the Internet all the time, and it does not take
long after plugging a packet logger into a previously unused IP address
before you start seeing traffic turn up...

Regards,

Antony.

--
The words "e pluribus unum" on the Great Seal of the United States are from
poem by Virgil entitled "Moretum", which is about cheese and garlic salad

                                                     Please reply to the
list;
                                                           please don't CC
me.