Re: IPTables Flow Chart

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 2:24 am, Jim Cliver wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Attached is a drawing that I thought might be useful to the list, it is
> intended to help visualize the traffic flows on a routing host
> configured with Netfilter.
>
> I have checked it carefully for errors, but can't warrant their
> non-existance.  I welcome comments and suggestions for improving or
> correcting the drawing.

My first comment is that the very centre element of the diagram, labelled
"Routing Process", suggests that IP_Forwarding needs to be = 1 for packets to
successfully enter the INPUT chain.   This is not the case - it might be
better if the red and green lines bypassed this box, and only the blue lines
(which are the "routed" packets) actually go through it.

I then got slightly confused trying to follow the path of a blue packet; after
entering the logical interface and passing through PREROUTING, it arrives at
the routing process, but then appears to have a choice of two FORWARD chains
(one at the top of the diagram, one at the bottom) through which it could
pass.   I'm not sure this is a helpful representation of netfilter, as there
is only one FORWARD chain, and all packets, no matter where they are being
routed to, go through it.

I appreciate that you have used the dotted outline of these boxes to indicate
"part of", however I think it would be clearer to show simply a single
netfilter FORWARD chain, followed by a routing decision which leads to the
two different interfaces?

Regards,

Antony.

--
This email was created using 100% recycled electrons.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.