RE: problem with forward/nat

> >  Once you hit that rule, the only thing going past
> > are INVALID packets so the rest of the INPUT and OUTPUT chains aren't
> doing
> > anything useful.
>
> No, the other rules are dealing with packets to interfaces other than lo.

Opps, I missed the lo!  That means there is no ESTABLISHED,RELATED rule for
the Ethernet traffic.  My suggestions remove the lo interface which fixes
that.

So for local traffic add the rule:

iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT

just after the drop of INVALID state packets.  Since I leave the OUTPUT
default policy as ACCEPT, I don't have an OUTPUT rule for lo but it would
probably be:

iptables -A OUTOUT -o lo -j ACCEPT

again placed just after the drop of INVALID state packets.