question regarding netfilter usage

Hello,

I was wondering if the following could be done using the netfilter hooks :-

I want to process incoming packets to one of my addresses and my ports to be forwarded to some other destination .. the complication arises due to the fact that the destination will be determined dynamically i.e based on the port on which the packet arrived, I need to communicate with some other machine using udp and determine the destination to which this is to be forwarded, this destination also needs to be cached so that any future packets on this port can directly be sent to the destination… I was doing it in user space using divert sockets but efficiency is a key concern and so was thinking about in-kernel processing …I presume I need to write a kernel module and hook it to netfilter … or am I totally on the wrong track .. if yes, then I was concerned about the fact that I have to contact some other machine to decide whom to forward this packet too!

Thanks,

Hitesh