Re: SMTP filter

On Friday 05 March 2004 12:27 pm, david@xxxxxx wrote:

> Hello World

Hello David

> I want to accept only all the SMTP trafic, port 25, from the source ip my
> ISP ?

Assuming default DROP policy (of course):

iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 25 -s isp.smtp.ser.ver -j ACCEPT

(change INPUT to FORWARD if this is a routing firewall - the above rule would
work on the mail server itself).

> Is that correct to block the SPAM ?

No - unless your ISP provides good spam-filtering for you.

Spam is an OSI layer 7 problem; netfilter operates at layers 3/4.
Investigate SpamAssassin, MailScanner, etc.

Antony.

--
I want to build a machine that will be proud of me.

 - Danny Hillis, creator of The Connection Machine

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.