Re: INET_IFACE: Secure to allow traffic from 192.168.x.0/24?

On Thursday 04 March 2004 12:29 pm, Carsten Maass wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> recently i connected together two internal networks over an IPSec-tunnel:
>
> (Localnet A)---(Gateway A)==IPSec==(Gateway B)---(Localnet B)

How did you set up IPsec?   Using FreeS/WAN and Linux kernel 2.4.x?   Using
the new built-in IPsec in kernel 2.6.x?   Some other method?   It makes a big
difference to what you can filter, and how netfilter sees the packets.

Also, do you have one machine at each end of the link which is both running
netfilter and acting as the IPsec gateway, or do you have two different
machines, one doing netfilter, and one doing IPsec?

> Now i am unsure which iptables-rules i should apply to the external
> interfaces of the gateways to match the traffic between the Localnets
> without opening up a security hole. Is it sufficient to simply apply
> some general rules like:
>
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $INET_IFACE -s 192.168.a.0/24 -j ACCEPT
> $IPTABLES -A FORWARD -i $INET_IFACE -s 192.168.b.0/24 -j ACCEPT
>
> or would this approach be vulnerable to some kind of IP-spoofing attack?

If you are using FreeS/WAN and Linux 2.4.x you can filter real packets going
to & from the "ipsecN" interfaces, and you can filter ESP packets going in
and out of the "ethN" interfaces.   Tell us the details and I'll suggest
something more specific if I can.

Regards,

Antony.

--
Having been asked for a reference for this man,
I can confirm that you will be very lucky indeed if you can get him to work

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.