Re: request and reply/respon packets

On Wednesday 03 March 2004 12:35 am, bino-psn wrote:

> Dear All.
> Is there any way to know whter a packet is a "request" or "reply/respon"
> packets ?

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but let me make a few definitions
of my own, and see if they match yours...

"Requests" come from a client to a server.   "Responses" and the reply from
the server to the client.

Requests start with a SYN packet (I'm assuming we're talking about TCP
connections here?), and responses start with a SYN/ACK packet.   Thereafter,
all packets have ACK set.

So, you can detect the first packet of a request from the fact that SYN (only)
is set, and you can detect the first packet of a response from that fact that
SYN and ACK are set.

Does that help answer your question?

Antony.

--
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but
rather when there is nothing left to take away.

 - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.