[HELP] what is the semantic meaning of find_appropriate_src()

I have studied the netfilter/iptables code for serval months, but I can not
understand the
semantic meaning of function find_appropriate_src(), which is called by
get_unique_tuple().

I can not figure in what situation it can return TRUE and  I think even in the
situation it can return TRUE, it is still meaningless. I designed and tried some
DNAT/SNAT examples, but none of them can make find_appropriate_src() return TRUE.

So, I wonder what is the object of designing the find_appropriate_src()?

Thx!