Re: how do i forward ftp from my firewall to an internal server?

Ok, I rewrote the rules to exactly match yours except for the log level. In the log I can only see one packet but that is ok because as I understand it only the first packet for a connectio goes through the PREROUTING chain. I also added a LOG for the POSTROUTING chain like this just before my SNAT target:
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -p tcp -s $LOCALNET/24 --source-port 20:21 \
-j LOG --log-prefix "SNAT FTP: "
And that doesn't show up in the log, in fact even if I remove the --source-port argument I get nothing in the log... (is the LOG target valid in the POSTROUTING chain?)
I am running proftpd in standalone mode with ident and reverse dns lookups turned off, full access for everyone including anonymous. And from proftpd (or any of the other ftp daemons I have tried) I can see a connection being made in the log and immediately it closes again (not by the ftp daemon). My best guess based on this is that the SNAT screws up somewhere. Even if no data connection can be made I should at least get the welcome message and be able to log in but I get absolutely _nothing_...

Mark E. Donaldson wrote:

OK - seems like you left out your DNAT rule for port 20 this time.  You
could simplify that some by using just one rule.  Here is how I DNAT my FTP
servers:

$IPT -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --destination-port 20:21 -i $FW_INET_IFACE
-j LOG --log-level $LOG_LEVEL --log-prefix "DNAT IN SERVICE FTP: "

$IPT -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --destination-port 20:21 -i $FW_INET_IFACE
-j DNAT --to-destination $SERVICE_FTP

I assume you have enabled logging (as I have done with this rule) so you can
check you logs to see what the packets are doing?

OK - now what else.  The fact that your outbound is working is significant,
and makes me think we should at applications after all. Few more questions:

Is this an "anonymous" FTP server setup, or is it account authorized?  Could
there be a permissions problem within your "ftpusers" file? Is your ftp
daemon initialized by inetd, and if so could tcpwrappers be killing the
connections? Have you made sure that your PAM configuration is not killing
the connections?

These are mostly food-for-thought questions. I should also point out (and
I'm sure you know this already) but once you have this debugged, you will
want to set your default policies on INPUT and FORWARD to DROP, and then
create the needed permit rules from there.