Re: Dummy interfaces

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 10:15:16PM +0300, Serge Druzhinin wrote:
> As I know, loopback interface also don't really exist. But I can match it in
> rules. dummy0 (for example) interface is not rejected by iptables as
> parameter for  -i or -o, but rule never matches.

No, it is not rejected because iptables has no way what interface name
might be valid or not (nobody forces you to call your dummy inteface
dummyX.  This is common practise, maybe even policy, but not
implementation).

> If you have some time to discuss this situation, please take a look to
> following:

This is not a valid use of an interface.  A 'dummy' interface can never
be treated as a real interface.  you won't be able to attach a tc qdisc
or do any other advanced networking stuff eithe.r

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>             http://www.netfilter.org/