Re: Packet dumping or mirroring

Good afternoon, Michael,

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Michael Gale wrote:

> So I have the following idea / solution involving iptables :)
>
> Solution 1:
> First you create a "tmpfs" .. for example in your NTOP home directory call it
> tmp (/home/ntop/tmp). Now make this directory a RAM drive that gets mount
> everytime we boot up, about 50MB (maybe).
>
> Now we create a module for iptables to send a copy of every packet on every
> interface to the RAM drive or dummy device.
>
> What do you think ... I do not believe there is a way to do this now :(

	You seem to be describing ulogd:
http://www.stearns.org/doc/iptables-ulog.current.html
	(with pointers to other relevant sites).  You'd instruct ulogd to
save its files to a ramdisk as opposed to a physical disk.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

	"Me spell chucker work grate.  Need grandma chicken."
	-- yakkoj@xxxxxxxxxxxx
William Stearns (wstearns@xxxxxxxxx).  Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at:   http://www.stearns.org