Re: UDP forwarding: multiple targets

On Tuesday 17 February 2004 12:05 pm, Jan Kleinsorge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a problem concerning UDP forwarding. My local network is connected
> to the internet. One of the local computers receives a constant stream of
> UDP data - this stream gets forwarded by a linux-based gateway. The
> situation now is as follows: I need to route a 'copy' of that stream to
> another local computer.
>
> Is it possible to forward to multiple targets ?

No.   Netfilter can change the destination of packets it sees, or it can stop
them going anywhere, but it cannot send one packet to two or more places.

> Another way I thought of is to reset the header-information, creating
> broadcast-packets out of those unicasts.

You may well that setting up multicast (which is nothing to do with netfilter)
is the best solution to this requirement.

Regards,

Antony.

--
The idea that Bill Gates appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all
customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that

 - Douglas Adams in The Guardian, 25th August 1995

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.