Re: Iptables and bridge

On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 13:12, Adi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone ever try traffic accounting using iptables (ipac-ng) in at
> linux bridge?
> I have try using iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j ACCEPT, but when
> i see the
> bytes counter using iptables -t mangle -nL -vx, it shown 0.
> But acctually the traffic already flow from eth0,eth1and br0,
> i monitoring by the traffic using tcpdump and iptraf.

Yes.  What I do is use accounting when I have blocked a spammer from
using mail to/from the servers behind my layer-2 firewall.  Everything
is selected by raw interface in the FILTER section.  It's been effective
to demonstrate when a person who has been guilty of spamming before is
possibly starting to spam again.

I haven't played with MANGLE in the layer-2 firewall, but then again my
whole purpose for having one of those beasts is to offload our CISCO
7500 routers and provide some very specific protection for Windows
systems.  I run a mostly-closed firewall for them, and ever since I did
that we have had far fewer problems with them.

Satch