Re: Problems with kernel 2.6.1 and iptables

On Monday 16 February 2004 10:26 am, Ray Leach wrote:

> The 'filter' table does not exist by default, but the 'FILTER' table
> does. Is this a user chain than you created?

I think you're getting confused here about the difference between chains and
tables.

Chains are normally named in uppercase; standard ones are INPUT, OUTPUT,
PREROUTING, POSTROUTING, FORWARD.   User-defined chains can of course be
added.

Tables are normally named in lowercase; standard ones are filter, nat, mangle.
Adding a user-defined table is quite a significant programming task, and not
to be assumed in a reasonably standard configuration of netfilter :)

The 'filter' table should exist in any healthy netfilter install.

Regards,

Antony.

--
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.