Shorewall vs. Iptables

Is any one better than the other?

I'm currently running a RedHat box that's soon to be replaced with a
Mandrake machine.  Of course I threw out the Shorewall stuff in favor of
manually implementing the same Iptables ruleset(s) that I have for the RH
machine.

Does Shorewall give any more protection or is it a simply complicated
front-end to iptables?

Cheers,

-=Ray
When reaching a stalemate, win with a technique the enemy does not expect.
Miyamoto Musashi