From: Antony Stone [mailto:Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2004 5:20 PM
To: Netfilter Mailing List (E-mail)
Subject: Re: iptables and dns from a windows farm

On Thursday 12 February 2004 8:54 am, Fritz Mesedilla wrote:

> Greetings friends,
> I'd like to ask for help on the rules that I need to allow windows farms
> behind a linux firewall be able to perform dns lookups. For example, open a
> command prompt, type nslookup, get the dns server and perform a query from
> there.

DNS uses TCP & UDP destination ports 53.

Surely even Microsoft can't find a weird way of doing that!?

Therefore your firewall should need no special rules to allow what you
describe above, other than what you need anyway to allow normal name
resolving to work for web browsing, email collection, etc:

iptables -A FORWARD -i $INT_IF -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A FORWARD -i $INT_IF -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT

If that doesn't work, don't forget the standard trick of putting a LOG rule at
the end of your FORWARD chain, try the nslookup (which will fail) and then
look at the packets which got LOGged from the IP address you attempted the
nslookup.   This will tell you what type of packets they were, and you can
add a rule to ACCEPT them.

Antony.

--
There are two possible outcomes:

 If the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement.
 If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.

 - Enrico Fermi

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.

the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this e-mail from your
system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this
email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
those of the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email
and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The company accepts
no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this
email.

Overture Media, Inc.
Direct Line: (632) 635-4785
Trunkline:   (632) 631-8971 Local 146
Fax: (632) 637-2206
Level 1 Summit Media Offices, Robinsons Galleria EDSA Cor. Ortigas Ave., Quezon City 1100