Re: Windows Update through Mandrake firewall

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 7:02 pm, cbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I am having trouble running Windows Update through a Mandrake
> Multi Network Firewall. I have already asked for help in several other
> forums.
>
> I am able to browse other web sites just fine. The Windows Update site
> appears to fail up when I checks my PC for updates. Microsoft's site
> support site said that I should "disable the firewall."

Hahahaha :)   Wonderful recommendations from Microsoft once again!!

> What ports do I need to open? What rules do I need to have? Could
> this be a Squid issue (our web proxy server)?

Possibly it's a Squid issue, however you should be able to tell that easily
enough from your Squid logs - see what request comes in from the client,
whether a response is obtained from the server, and what the status code is.

If in fact it's a netfilter problem, you can find out what ports are being
blocked (and need to be opened for WinUpdate to work) by adding a LOG rule at
the end of your FORWARD chain (just before the default DROP policy), and
seeing what packets get caught (just before being discarded).   If you see
too much to make sense of it, narrow down the logging rule by specifying the
source address of the client making the request (this will need to bypass the
Squid proxy, obviously, otherwise you'll just see the proxy's address,
however I don't know whether your Squid is on the internal LAN or on a DMZ
port of your Firewall).

Hope this helps to point you in the right direction,

Regards,

Antony.

--
This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s) named above
and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or unsuitable

If you have received this email in error, you are required to shred it
immediately, add some nutmeg, three egg whites and a dessertspoonful of
caster sugar.   Whisk until soft peaks form, then place in a warm oven for 40
minutes.   Remove promptly and let stand for 2 hours before adding some
decorative kiwi fruit and cream.   Then notify me immediately by return email
and eat the original message.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.