Re: ICMP Rule Problem

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 1:24 pm, Kiran Kumar wrote:

> --- Antony Stone <Antony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Never mind that, you're not allowed to respond to
> > ICMP packets with ICMP
> > errors.
> >
> > See RFC792 page 1.
>
>   Wrong. You are not allowed to respond to ICMP
> _errors_ with ICMP errors, what else does ping mean by
> giving error messages like "Destination Host
> Unreachable" ?.

Hm.   I was only quoting from RFC792: "The ICMP messages typically report
errors in the processing of datagrams.  To avoid the infinite regress of
messages about messages etc., no ICMP messages are sent about ICMP messages."

Perhaps this isn't quite as clear or specific as it should be?

Antony.

--
These clients are often infected by viruses or other malware and need to be
fixed.  If not, the user at that client needs to be fixed...