define 'connections'

Hi,

is this correct :

when you are SNAT-ing and using a statefull firewall, iptables must
manage 2 different 'states' :

- the connections that went out so incoming response packets are matched
to the correct outgoing request packets

- the states of the state module meaning a list of the connections so
incoming responste packets are ALLOWED to go back in

I guess if you are doing SNAT with an empty filter table, you only have
the 'states' of the first kind, right?

Which one of these do we actually see in /proc/net/ip_conntrack ? Are
these the SNAT-connections or the states from the state module? And where
do I see the others? Where can I find the default lifetime for both?

Thanks

Jo

NEOlabs - http://www.neolabs.be - mailto:info@xxxxxxxxxx