limit HTTP-GET requests per IP

Hi,

I got a problem. Various people are stupidly trying to mirror my webserver (wget and the like), which puts heavy load on it, due to the dynamic generation of pages. Is there a way to specify a limit on requests per second on an ip basis ?
This is a public server, so a limit rule for each ip would be a bit too much [2^32 too much ;-)]
One other idea is parsing the http-log an inserting rules dynamically.
Any suggestions on how to solve this ?

regards

Nikolai