RE: beginner, trying to use iptables.

Le jeu 29/01/2004 à 14:58, Christophe.LINDHEIMER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx a
écrit :
> So at the end I have go something looking like this :
> @1  <--------> @2 | @3 <-------> @4
> with @1 = 128.0.0.2, @4 = 128.0.0.10, @2 & @3 can be anything.
> @1 & @4 must be on the same subnet ( the computer in the middle must be
> transparent and can be removed )
> So it is a kind of firewall but a bit special.

You have to set a transparent firewall up, using bridging.

See http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/

Principle is quite simple :

@1 ------- [eth0/eth1] ------ @2
	       br0

Once the patch is applied, you have to build your kernel with bridging
and bridge firewalling support (see networking section). Then, set your
box as a bridge :

	brctl addbr br0
	ifconfig eth0 up
	ifconfig eth1 up
	brctl addif br0 eth0
	brctl addif br0 eth1
	ifconfig br0 up

Now, your box behave like a bridge (i.e. an ethernet switch with 2
ports), forwarding frames between eth0 and eth1. Forwarded frames
payload, if IP, will be visible into Netfilter FORWARD chain, what
allows you to filter IP stuff, just as usual.

NB : . non-IP traffic will be allowed unless you use ebtables to block
       it
     . if you want to reach your box from network, just assign an IP to
       br0 interface

There's some documentation at http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/ that
explains this kind of setups.

> I thought that with iptables, I could say : the destination of any packets
> entering in eth0 ( with no care of the IP @ ) is transformed into @2 (using
> DNAT for example ), then @2 replies and I retransform the source @. ( isn't
> a proxy working like this ?? )

A proxy works at application layer, here you'll have to work either at
link or network layer.

--
http://www.netexit.com/~sid/
PGP KeyID: 157E98EE FingerPrint: FA62226DA9E72FA8AECAA240008B480E157E98EE