Re: iptables log Len ?

Good evening, Michael,

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Michael Gale wrote:

> 	When you log a packet entry one of the fields is Len (example
> Len=78). Now does this mean the was was 78 bytes ?

	Yes, the first LEN on the line is the length of the IP header, TCP
header, and payload.  Some packets have 2 LEN tokens, I believe the second
is TCP header + payload.  For ICMP error messages where the original
packet decode is inside [...], the LEN inside the square brackets is the
length of the packet that elicited the error.
	Cheers,
	- Bill

	"Whip me, beat me, make me use ipchains."
	- Paul "Rusty" Russell
William Stearns (wstearns@xxxxxxxxx).  Mason, Buildkernel, freedups, p0f,
rsync-backup, ssh-keyinstall, dns-check, more at:   http://www.stearns.org