From: netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:netfilter-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrew
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2004 6:38 PM
To: netfilter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: forwarding traffic from one port to another on the same box

I would like to forward all tcp traffic arriving on a particular port to
another port on the same machine. This has worked for me in the past but I
can't get it working on my current machine.

Here are the two commands I'm using to try to create the forward.

iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp -d 192.168.10.34 --dport 26 -j ACCEPT

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 -s 0/0 -d 192.168.10.34 --dport
26 -j DNAT --to 192.168.10.34:25

The first command is accepted but the second command results in an 'Invalid
argument' error.

The computer has only one interface, eth0. Here are its particulars:
Mandrake Linux 9.2
Iptables 1.2.8
kernel 2.4.24 patched with super-freeswan 1.99.8

The value of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/forwarding is 0. Changing it to 1
has no impact.
The value of /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/rp_filter is 0.

I hope someone out there has some ideas about what's going on because I'm
all out.

Andrew