Re: iptables routing help

On Saturday 24 January 2004 9:25 pm, William Knop wrote:

> Hello,
> My dsl provider has my house on several subnets (ips obtained via dhcp,
> along with a netmask of 255.255.255.0), so I have had to screw around
> with each machine to make sure local traffic doesn't flood the dsl
> modem. To remedy this, I've been trying to set up a firewall box to
> basically reroute those three subnets as local, but I'm finding it very
> difficult. It seems like every doc out there only addresses nat, which
> is definitely not what we want. I'd greatly appreciate some help
> accomplishing this.

This is not a netfilter question - in fact quite the opposite - it is an IP
routing question, which netfilter will only help to interfere with.

All netfilter would do for you in a case like this is help to drop packets
which would otherwise be routed.   Netfilter doesn't route packets - that's
the job of the normal routing table.

Many times on this list a question is answered with "get your basic routing
working first, then start implementing netfilter rules to drop things you
don't want."   In your case the correct routing table entries will solve your
problem - there's almost certainly no need for netfilter to be involved
except as the perimeter firewall just before your networks hit the DSL.

I suggest you start with something like
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Networking-Overview-HOWTO.html or
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/IP-Subnetworking.html - alternatively a
standard IP book such as O'Reilly's "TCP/IP Network Administration" by Craig
Hunt will tell you what you need.

The main thing is to make sure you don't have netfilter rules blocking what
your routing table would otherwise allow between your local subnets.

Hope this helps,

Antony.

--
Most people are aware that the Universe is big.

 - Paul Davies, Professor of Theoretical Physics

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.