Re: port forwarding with one interface to trace traffic?

3. Connect a hub (not a switch) to the printer's ethernet cable (or to the Mac's ethernet cable), and plug the Linux machine running ethereal into the hub, so you can sniff the packets off the wire without any NAT.

Hi Antony

This is dangerously OT, but what's the difference? I always thought that the difference between a switch and a hub was simply a matter of internal plumbing that affected how the pipes were connected and had no effect on the actual tcp/ip connections. I've used them interchangeably and haven't seen a difference. Maybe someone has a link that could educate me more better! :-)

Jeff