Re: [despammed] port based filtering and IPsec 2.6

At Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:44:20PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 04:37:48PM +0100, Valentijn Sessink wrote:
> > Yes you can. Re-read my post, and be creative.
> That will work for incoming packets. And how do I protect myself
> against configuration errors sending out unencrypted packets? I'd need
> to put the mark on the packets for destination networks, which is
> error prone.

Why is that error prone? If your concern is putting out unencrypted packets
to certain networks, you can just use -p esp. And yes: a firewall setup with
IPsec *is* error prone. That's no different in FreeS/WAN, I think.

It is no more or less complicated to say "-i ipsec0" or "-m mark --mark 1".

Apart from that, I do not exactly understand your point. AFAIK, FreeS/WAN
will only let you setup a tunnel or no tunnel, nothing in between. If you
would want to send some traffic through the tunnel, you would need a whole
lot of non-trivial policy routing rules. (But maybe I'm mistaken here).

> The idea is nice, but it looks like an ugly hack. And it _is_ an ugly
> hack.

IPsec tunnel mode is an ugly hack? You might want to explain that to Bruce
Scheier: http://www.schneier.com/paper-ipsec.html

I wouldn't know what is ugly about marking packets to post-process them
later.

V.
--
http://www.openoffice.nl/   Open Office - Linux Office Solutions