[OT] Re: ISP Software

Lawrence Tang wrote:
Hi,
Can anybody advice me, which linux O/S is the best for my purpose (providing internet broadband access) ?
The features that I need are :-
1. Billing base on MB Usage report on each host per month (every port). User can check on the server by themselves
2. Firewall with NAT
3. Proxy

While strictly off-topic for this list, I'll bite.

We use Debian GNU/Linux for our ADSL services.

1) Billing is done by scripts that read the bytes up/down from each PPP interface on an hourly basis. This is stored in a Postgresql database

1a) Usage meters are custom-built - easy enough to do with tools like RRDTool or MRTG, or even just a graphics package like Perl GD::Graph.

2) Firewall with NAT - we use init scripts to set up the main firewall at system boot and ppp's ip-up scripts to set up per-connection firewalls, with the rules dynamically generated from a Postgresql database

3) Proxy - I've previously used Squid and OOPS. OOPS is much simpler to configure, but not as feature rich - but OOPS does do inter-proxy communication so it works as a peer or parent to Squid.

Regards
Alex Satrapa
Lintel Intl Communications Systems