Re: icmp: 10.1.4.50 unreachable - need to frag (mtu 500) [tos 0xc0]

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 03:02, Scott Hall wrote:
> So the one question that this whole issue raises in my mind is, Isn't
> there anyway to handle the (DF) packets differently?

Absolutely. Config the stacks on both ends of the connection to _not_
set DF. This will cause the router at the MTU border to frag the packets
and will not require an ICMP error packet.

> I ask
> becuase we have two cisco routers and 6 Adtran routers that handle this
> same scenario quietly.

I'm guessing if you check the decodes from those packets you will see
the public rather than the private IP embedded in the payload. I think
this is what is killing you. This is an old Netfilter bug that I
*thought* was fixed ages ago.

HTH,