Re: Problem behind my DMZ

On Friday 09 January 2004 9:54 am, Martin Leduc wrote:

The /32 and /28 netmasks operate quite simply:
On one interface you use a /32 netmask, which means there is only one accessible IP on that network - that of the router leading to the Internet.

On the other interface you use a /28 netmask, which means there are 16 IP addresses (14 usable) accessible on that network.

Linux uses its routing table entries from most specific to least specific, so if a packet for the one IP address on the /32 network needs to be routed, it will go in the direction of the Internet. If a packet for any other address in your public IP range needs to be routed, it won't match the /32 but it will match the /28, so it will go to the internal network.

Ok, so if I understand correctly, my home internet ISP who provide me the route:

67.68.181.1     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0 ppp0
0.0.0.0         67.68.181.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 ppp0

have is 67.68.181.1 on his internet network and we are all connect into a master switch behind this router, i'm able to ping 67.68.181.2, .3, .4, .5, etc...

It is possible to do something like

LAN1 ---------------
192.168.1.1--------------192.168.1.2 | BOX 1 | 192.168.1.3
--------------- |
| LAN 2

192.168.1.4

I know I can use Ramin solution, but can we? it is possible?

It is possible to create this topology using Linux BOX? I have already do it using CISCO Router with the IGRP protocol. I know I can use RIP too.

LAN ---------------
192.168.1.X--------------192.168.1.1 | BOX 1 | 10.0.0.1 |
--------------- |

LAN --------------- |
192.168.2.X--------------192.168.2.1 | BOX 2 | 10.0.0.2 |
--------------- |

| 10.0.0.3
-------------
| BOX 3 |

INTERNET PUBLIC IP

192.168.1.X PING 192.168.2.X PING INTERNET PUBLIC IP

I guess I need routed deamon to do that, no? RIP is supported by routed.

The fact that the two network ranges overlap does not matter (despite what you may read in introductory networking books - this is beyond introductory networking).

Regards,

Best regards, and thanks for your time and help, I appreciate it.

Antony.

Martin

MSN Messenger : discutez en direct avec vos amis ! http://messenger.fr.msn.ca/