Re: NAT-HOWTO erreta?

On Monday 05 January 2004 10:33 pm, Tobias Hintze wrote:

> hi,
>
> i think i just noticed a mistake in your NAT-howto...
> (http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/HOWTO//NAT-HOWTO.html)
>
> section 5.2 Finer Points Of Selecting What Packets To Mangle
>
> 4th paragraph:
>
> "These options must follow the `-p' option (which has a side-effect of
> port numbers, or a name from the /etc/services file."
>
> we talk about protocols here. not ports! so /etc/protocols is the right
> reference not /etc/services.

No, /etc/services is correct.

What the phrase you have quoted is saying is "These options must follow the
'-p' option [which specifies which protocol is in use, eg -p tcp, -p udp etc]
(which has a side-effect of loading the shared library extension for that
protocol).   [It is this shared library extension which allows the further
specification of port numbers; without it, you cannot specify a port number]
You can use port number, or a name from the /etc/services file [as an
argument to the --sport or --dport options]."

You are correct in thinking that after -p you can use a protocol number or a
name from /etc/protocols, however the above paragraph is talking about
--sport and --dport as referenced in the preceding two paragraphs of section
5.2.

Hope this clarifies things,

Antony.

--
Never write it in Perl if you can do it in Awk.
Never do it in Awk if sed can handle it.

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.