Re: Performance Monitoring

Wait a minute here ... you want a rule for each IP ?

Depending on the stats you need I suggest you strongly look into the
following:

ntop -- provides a web GUI for real time monitoring. Using it now on a
firewall box to monitoring traffic on each interface.

Adv .. provides great states , very detailed
Dis .. seems to be some over header ... uses a DDR db :(

You can use curl to pull the stats nightly and save them to a text file.
Then create a little PHP scritp to provide you with the numbers. Now you
will have stats for as long as you want.

iptraf -- not bad ... detail is low.

Adv ... NO over head and works great on a work station or 1 interface
machine. It takes a bit to setup because you have to create all the
filters your self.

Dis ... out is simple ... a php script to produce a nice web GUI is
needed.

Nagios -- http://www.nagios.org/
	Could be over kill depending on what you want ... this is more of a
network monitoring tool. Really not designed to be run with one machine
in mind.

IPFM -- not bad .. very simple:

example:
HOST                          IN         OUT       TOTAL
host1.domain.com           12345     6666684     6679029

MRTG for total traffic accounts only

Bandwidthd -- not bad ... currently testing it. Seems to provide web png
files much like MRTG but does provide host info. I do not believe you
are able to save the data though :(

Michael.

--
Hand over the Slackware CD's and back AWAY from the computer, your geek
rights have been revoked !!!

Michael Gale
Slackware user :)
Bluesuperman.com