Re: iptables newbie

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 08:31, Johan Cimen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am an iptables newbie and this is what I want do do with iptables:
> 1. I want to ulog incomming packets at PREROUTING, incomming at specific
> ports with UDP protocol.
> 2. I am going to generate UDP packets from my local station, from specific
> ports.
> 3. I want to set TOS and TTL fields of my packets matching specific ports
> at OUTPORT or POSTROUTING.
>
> Problem that I have is:
> 1. I cannot use:
>    iptables -t mangle -A OUTPUT -o $IFACE -p UDP --dport 7001 -j TOS
> --set-tos 0x10
>    Using iptables -L shows nothing under OUTPUT headline.
>    I cannot use tables at all.
> 2. I cannot use (just an example, nothing to do with what i want to do):
>    iptables -A POSTROUTING -o $IFACE -p UDP --dport 7001
>    iptables says: No chain/target/match by that name
>    Above iptable command works for INPUT, FORWARD and OUTPUT chains.
>
> Question is:
> 1. Have I missed something in my kernel configurations?
> 2. Have I missed something in building chains and targets?
> 3. I need help! <snip>

Are you remembering to specify the table with -t mangle or -t nat if you
are not using the filter table? You do this in rule #1 but not rule #2
and if you do iptables -L OUTPUT you will see the rules of the filter
table OUTPUT chain and not mangle or nat.  Good luck - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Chief Technology Officer