Re: Looking for 'ntop' for Redhat linux.

Hello,

	I have done some testing with NTOP and it may not be what you want.

First  by default it uses a RRD (round robin database) so everytime it
restarts you loose all your date. There was a command line switch that
you could use that was supposed to save your date.

But I always received error while trying to use it.

The web GUI did not seem to reliable .. after I started NTOP with http
or https I could connect once , maybe twice but after that I could not
longer connect. It seemed that NTOP would not release my connect every
until restarted. You may by able to work around it running apache and
just proxying a connection to NTOP's web listener. It is documented on
there web page.

At last .. it seemed to crash on a weekly bases. I could never get it to
run more then 7 days in a row with it crashing.

I am contemplating running ntop from Monday to Friday and on Friday have
cron that uses curl to download the states and save it to a file. Then
have NTOP restart. And do the same on Monday. But this seems like a lot
of work.

You may want to look at iptraf or ipfw. Cacti is also good.

P.S I always compiled mine from source.

Michael.

--
Hand over the Slackware CD's and back AWAY from the computer, your geek
rights have been revoked !!!

Michael Gale
Slackware user :)
Bluesuperman.com